Sustainability, durability, fire resistance, structural performance and cost-effectiveness are some of the strongest reasons for using structural steel or cold-formed steel framing in mid-rise building construction. As a dependable, noncombustible material, steel-framed structures provide a wise investment for builders and the occupants who live and work in them. Steel provides many key advantages over wood in mid-rise building construction:
- Steel structures provide long-term, consistent performance.
- Steel is a noncombustible material and will not contribute to the spread of a fire.
- Steel framing improves design efficiency, saves time, and reduces costs.
- Steel structures perform well during earthquakes and other extreme events.
- Steel framing provides environmental benefits and complies with sustainable building standards.